Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding new drives to a PoweEdge 2500 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

techspl

MIS
Jan 23, 2002
TT
I have a dell poweredge 2500 server that has 4 drives configured as RAID 5 with one volume.(C: drive)
I would like to add two additional dives to make another volume (D: drive) and use Raid 0.
I have a few questions on how to proceed:
1) Do I need to shutdown the server and install the drives OR can I just plug them in?
2)Once installed, to get Windows 2000 to "see" drive, I would need to rescan the array, create a virtual disk and volume using the Array Manager right?
I just want to make sure I'm doing this right since this server is a very critical server.
Please comment as soon as possible.
Thanks

Does anyone know info about the optimum ratio for the number of processors vs hard disks to ensure minimum processor idle time waiting for I/O requests.

thanks

sorry meant to start a new post with my question.

in reply to yours though I would say...

Yes you can plug them in live and use the Array Manager to configure it provided your disks are hot-pluggable. But if this is mission critical, perhaps you would be better advised to make changes at other times like overnight or weekend.

I hope this reply doesnt lead you to blow up your server!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back