Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding new disk and how to expand an array

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dobeman

MIS
Jul 11, 2004
US
I am running out of diskspace in our of our servers. There are still five empty slots for additional hard disk.

Facts:
OS - NT4
HArdware - HP Proliant ML530 G2

First, I want to tell what I did.

a. I inserted five additional disk and run Array Configuration Utility.
b. In the Array, which I want to expand, I created another logical drive out of the new disk I inserted, this came out as Logical drive 2.
c. I then extended the logical drive 1 and added the unused space.
d. After the rebuild process, I noticed that there are now two logical drives in Array but the new unused space has not been added in to my drive.
e. I went to Disk Administrator and tried to create an extended partition. I found out that in doing so, the new space I have created will have a new drive letter.

I do not want to create another drive letter. I want the new unused space to be added to my drive F: or my data drive and extend its diskspace. I do not want to create another separate drive. What did I do wrong?

I know i still have some options like I could try Partition Magic to add the unused space or to delete the original logical drive 1 and recreate it, this time including the new disk. But I wanted to consult you if there is a much easier way to do this.

As of now, the newly installed disks are not being used.

this is limitation of ms

you didnt do it wrong
you need to use partition magic or ms has some freebie utils - diskpart or something like that - not sure if its only 2000 though

Hey Dobeman, I would like to clarify your post because I think I want to do the same thing.
Your F:drive is already a RAID 5 and you want to add more disks to it AND keeping it the F: drive?
Also you are using Hardware RAID? what card are you using?

Thanks a bunch

This is an old post, but I found it through Google.

Just wanted to clarify that DiskPart does NOT work on NT4, I just tried it (hence why I'm now searching).

Believe that VolumeManager will do this for you but it's not free.

-------------------------------

If it doesn't leak oil it must be empty!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back