Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

adding new dell computer (xp pro) to domain (win server 2003) 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeojames1984

Technical User
Jun 28, 2008
Ok here is the deal, I am trying to help this church with getting their new dell computers added to their server. There are 7 total computers. Well we disconnected one of them and set up the new dell computer. The new computer has the exact same computer name as the old one did. We were just upgrading one of the staff's computers. So he had already been added to the server and AD on his previous, older computer. Everything looks great except the server nor the new computer cant ping each other (the same network cable that was connected to the older computer). I can set up the old computer again on the very same network setup and it works. The NIC on the new dell is working properly according to windows and has all the latest drivers installed. However, I cannot ping anything when connected to the network (windows firewall has been disabled too). When I try to join the domain that all of the other computers are joined to it immediately displays an error telling me cannot join domain make sure it is spelled correctly (or something like that). When I click details it says something about no DNS set up locally. So I right click on my LAN connection and go to my TCP/IP properties and instead of choosing obtain DNS server address automatically I enter the IP address that displays when I do an ipconfig on the server itself (the IP for the DNS server). Now when I try to join the domain it displays an error immediately saying something about a socket error when attempting to connect to an unreachable host.

So needless to say I am lost. I have added computers to this domain before and it was never a problem. I am assuming if the computers are unable to ping one another when connected then my problem lies with the NIC in the new computer or some type of setting on the new computer. But everything seems to be working properly with it. If anyone could offer any assistance that would be really wonderful as I have just about pulled all of my hair out over this. Thank you.

Does sound like a DNS/IP problem.

Can you post an 'ipconfig /all' of both and Server and the new Dell PC on here, and I'll take a look.

Can you ping any other PC's from the new one, that are pingable from other PC's or Server?

Thanks, Mark

Thanks Mark for the help.

No I cannot ping anything from the new dell. However, I can hook up the old computer and just for grins my laptop computer on the same network cable and both are able to ping the server. So the cable works; just the new dell does not.

Here are the ipconfig /all's you requested:

Here is the new dell when it is not hooked up to the network:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : computer1
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel<R> 82562V-2 10/100 Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-09-99-67-27

Here is the new dell when it is hooked up to the network:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : computer1
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel<R> 82562V-2 10/100 Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1D-09-99-67-27
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address . . : 169.254.91.211
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Here is the server:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : TLCSERVER
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : trinitylifebaptistchurch.local
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
DNS Suffix Search List . . . . . : trinitylifebaptistchurch.local

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-15-C5-F6-73-6A
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
IP Address . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.43
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.43

And just for grins here is the ipconfig from one of the computers that is currently joined to the domain (server):

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : computer2
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : trinitylifebaptistchurch.local
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
DNS Suffix Search List . . . . . : trinitylifebaptistchurch.local

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : trinitylifebaptistchurch.local
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter(LNE100TX v4)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-41-EF-86-21
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.10
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.43
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.43
Primary WINS Server . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.43
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, June 28, 2008 2:05:44 PM
Lease Expires. . . . . . . . . . .: Sunday, July 06, 2008 2:05:44 PM

On the server, open the DHCP Admin tool and see how many addresses are in the pool vs how many leases have been assigned to computers. It's possible that there are no addresses available for this client. Ultimately what we have here is a failure of the new Dell to get a DHCP address from the server.

If you want to see if that's the issue, give the new Dell a static IP.

Assign it the IP 192.168.1.210, give it a mask of 255.255.255.0 and a gateway of 192.168.1.1, then assign it 192.168.1.43 as the DNS. If things still don't work, then the problem is probably the NIC on the new Dell. If the NIC works, you should be on the network just fine.

Dave Shackelford
Shackelford Consulting

ShackDaddy is right (again!),

You're not getting an ipaddress from DHCP, and you should be...
So yes, check your Scope as he's described and make sure there are free addresses, but from the fact that you say you can plug your lappy in, and that works, I should think this is on DHCP, and therefore DHCP is working fine (unless you have a massive lease time and your laptop was used within that time, having taken the last address).

Sounds like the NIC in the Dell I'm afraid.
Like Shack also says, a static ip, using the details he has given, should give no margin for error - if it still won't work, then again, its the NIC.

There is one other slim possibility, the NIC in the Dell and whatever is at the other end of the network cable - Switch, Hub, whatever - aren't Autonegotiating the speed and duplex correctly.
Go to Properties of the LAN Connection, Click the Configure Button next to the Network Card Name, then under one of the Tabs (Advanced on mine) is the 'Connection Type' field, where you can change from 'Autonegotiate' to 10 Full, 10 Half, 100 Full or 100 Half.
Where its says 'Connection Type' I have also seen NIC's display 'Speed/Duplex' too - it should be reasonably obvious.

For starters, set to 10 Half, see what you get, and work up... 100 Full is your ideal, but 10 Full is probably better than 100 Half.
For the above, set back to DHCP, and run an 'ipconfig /release' then 'ipconfig /renew'.

Thanks, Mark

When I try to join the domain that all of the other computers are joined to it immediately displays an error telling me cannot join domain make sure it is spelled correctly (or something like that).

I know this is a simplistic suggestion, but I would try it:

1. Remove the old computer from the Domain through Server Management
2. Add the computer through Server Management
3. Run the "Set up new Computer" Wizard, and add the new computer to the domain
4. On the target machine, make sure the NIC's DNS properties is the IP address of the server's local NIC, and it is the only NIC enabled (watch for wireless NICs here)
5. On the target machine, logged in as local (not domain) admin, open IE, then enter //servername/connectcomputer to join the domain. Supply the credentials and see if that works.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Oops...those are instructions for SBS server. It appears you have 2003 Server. Never mind.

Oh yeah, here's the ticket: Buy SBS next time!!! [smile]

Tony

Users helping Users...

@ShackDaddy, I have already tried to assign a static IP address and it did not work.

@Mark, I plugged my lappy into the network cable just to see if I could ping the server / if the server could ping the lappy (which both could). I have not tried the speed and duplex thing you suggested so I will give it a whirl.

@wahnula, actually my thread title is incorrect; they are running SBS. I have already tired removing the old computer and setting up the new one, but it doesnt work. I can successfully add the new computer to the server but the servername/connectcomputer does nothing.

Any other ideas guys? Dell is not being helpful at all just telling me to reinstall my OS and the drivers, which is crap.

My simple question is shouldnt the server and computer at the very least be able tp ping one another when connected by the network cable? Since they aren't seeing each other at all tells me that something is wrong with the NIC and none of these other steps are going to solve anything until the two machines are able communicate.

Assigning a static ip doesn't work?
You've got a NIC or Cable fault.

When you plumb the cable in, does the NIC recognise that a live data cable is attached? ie, does the red cross through the LAN Icon go away?

Do you have a spare PCI NIC you can put in, just to test things. Have you tried another patch and fly lead - I know you say it works with the old PC and Lappy - but stranger things have happened...
Can you put the new PC in place of another PC to test?

Are there any NIC Diagnostics from Dells website that you can download on another machine, USB Drive it across to the new PC, and install - then test the NIC.
I know the Broadcom's have pretty good Diags, but isn't this an Intel one, judging by your ipconfig? I don't know what Diags they do, if any.
Sounds seriously like you're looking at Cable/NIC fault.

Thanks, Mark

Could the new Dell having the same name as a different piece of hardware already listed in ADUC cause some issues?

Try renaming the new Dell, then adding it to the network?

The LAN icon has a yellow thing on it when connected to the network saying limited or no connectivity. Every diagnostic thing I've run has said that the NIC is working properly, but again if this was the case shouldnt I be able to connect another computer to it via networking cable and communicate with it? It doesnt want to connect to the server or even if I hook it up directly with another computer.

Its an odd fault, I'll give you that!

The Yellow thing is because you're being given an 'Autoconfiguration' ipaddress - the '169.254.x.x' address.
And that is because it can't connect to a DHCP Server - but from the fact that entering a static ipaddress won't work, would lead me to believe your DHCP Server is probably fine, and your problem is NIC or Cable.

To get it going, I'm afraid you're going to have to do some more testing.
Replace Fly/Patch leads, test it...
Bypass all cabling by putting a single cabling in between the Dell and the Hub/Switch (of course this might be physically impossible), test it...
Put a different NIC into the machine, test it...
Put the machine in place of another PC that you know works - just as a test, and test it...
Maybe try the 'Speed/Duplex' thing - thats only a shot in the dark though really.

Noveyron - it can't be Computer Name, the PC would get an ipaddress long before any attempt was made to add the machine to the domain, then at that point it would moan saying that another PC with the same name exists on the network... blah, blah, blah... (DHCP communicates over MAC Address, so even if PC name is the same, it can still find the host requesting the ip, and give it one).

Good luck!

Thanks, Mark

Mark1977,

Excellent suggestions, nice to have you around. Hope you stay a while!

Tony

Users helping Users...

Thanks for the help guys. Finally got a Dell guy to come look at it and go figure the NIC was bad. Ugh...oh well at least it is working now.

Excellent news!
Glad its sorted pal.

Wahnula - thank you, I don't plan on going anywhere!!

Cheers, Mark

jeojames1984 said:
go figure the NIC was bad.

Of all problems the hardware-based ones are always the most mysterious. Props to ShackDaddy & Mark1977 for calling it early.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back