Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding new DC to domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

coffeedogz

IS-IT--Management
Jul 23, 2003
US
I'm a contractor for a small firm that up til now has used one wimpy little server for 20 users. Since the server is out of warranty, I've convinced them of the wisdom to add another server. The new server will be the PDC and Exchange server. The old server will remain the file and print server and BDC.

Couple of thoughts:
1. Can I setup the new server as the BDC, join it to the domain, and synchronize with existing PDC. Then, promote it? Will that work? Seems much easier than setting up all the domain info from scratch.

2. The existing server is licensed as a per server. Should I purchase the extra licenses to make the network per seat? Legalities vs. headaches question here.

Any other words of wisdom would be most appreciated.

Coffeedogz

If you have all 2k servers, there is no PDC or BDC. Run DCPROMO from the second machine. When setting it up, choose to add a DC to an existing Domain and the AD info will replicate to the new DC as well....

Thanks,

Matt Wray
MCSE, MCSA, MCP, CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back