Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding New Column to Dimension Table, Used in Other Cubes, Must I Update the Models of Other Cubes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP_Quinn

Programmer
Nov 3, 2016
US
Hello,

System: SQL Server 2014, SSIS, SSAS, VS2013, SSDT, and Attuity 3.0 Teradata, and Tabular Module Partitions is implemented.

I have one certain Dimension table being used in several different cubes wired into their diagrams. If I Alter in a new column to that certain Dimension table, update the SSIS package that works with that Dimension table for column Alteration, and then update the Cube design with that new Dimension:

1. Can I alter that one certain table, update that one cubes SSIS package Cube, and all the other cubes using that same one Dimension table will keep running without error?

2. Or will I need to also update all the other SSIS packages and Cube designs that also use that one updated Dimension table in order for them to not error?

3. Doesn’t matter, you can add the new column to the dimension table, and update that SSIS and Cube to take advantage of the new dimension, and the other cubes using that same dimension table will be unaffected because that column will be unseen, or considered hidden, no harm, no foul.

Thanks, JPQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back