Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding network card to NT Workstation

Status
Not open for further replies.

lasalle

IS-IT--Management
Apr 10, 2000
US
Hello-<br>This would seem to be a straightforward<br>issue which is why it is very disconcerting<br>that I have encountered a problem. I am<br>running NT Workstation with Service Pack<br>3 on a Compaq Prolinea. There is virtually<br>nothing else loaded but the NT Workstation.<br>With zero TCP/IP networking installed, I installed a KTI 32-bit PCI network card,<br>took the drivers right off the KTI diskette<br>and got the card recognized very smoothly.<br>I can even ping myself at 10.0.1.9 <br>The NT Workstation was installed on a 500 MB<br>partition (C: drive). There is nothing on<br>the D: drive which is also 500 MB. All I <br>want to do is get this NT Workstation box<br>recognized on a little internal subnet. When<br>I now start NT Workstation, I get a message<br>that a service failed to start and I have<br>no connectivity to my subnet. The are two<br>new entries in Event Viewer saying that<br>1) The Server service failed to start due to<br>not enough server storage available to <br>process this command. as well as...<br>2) The Computer Browser Service depends on<br>the Server service which failed to start due<br>to the following error: (again) not enough<br>server storage available to process this <br>command.<br>OK, so I have no browse or TCP/IP connection<br>because of no Server service but I do have<br>340 MB free disk space. I bumped this to <br>500 MB and it was no help. I have 48 MB of<br>RAM which I know is low but what is this<br>&quot;not enough Server storage&quot; referring to or<br>is it really some other problem? What would<br>prevent something as basic as the Server<br>Service from not starting under these <br>conditions. Thanks for any help to get me<br>connected.<br><br>&nbsp;

You should reapply the MS Service pack. This issue typically occurs when a service pack is applied prior to networking components. When this is the case, the srv.sys does not get updated by the SP and when you then install networking the original version of srv.sys is used and thus you encounter this problem.<br><br>You could also just copy the SP3 version of srv.sys from another machine and put it in the Winnt/System32 directory.<br> <p>Doug<br><a href=mailto:dxd_2000@yahoo.com>dxd_2000@yahoo.com</a><br><a href= > </a><br>

Doug-<br>This is truly amazing. Within 5 minutes of your very prompt reply, <br>I am in business! Thank you ever so much for what would seem<br>to be such a simple fix but, as is usually the case, who would have<br>known that this is what it took? Why can't Microsoft just give you<br>half a chance to decipher what the real problem is? Thank you<br>again and Tek-Tips truly is and has been my salvation time and<br>again.<br><br>Joel A. Stevens<br><A HREF="mailto:joelst@nsis.net">joelst@nsis.net</A>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back