Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding Memory to Windows 2000 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

allmity

MIS
Dec 5, 2001
US
Hello, I have been trying to add memory to a few different Windows 2000 Professional desktop computers and have always not had any luck. The computers are all Dell computers, originally had 64 MB. Went to upgrade to 128 and got a blue screen stating there was a page fault in non paged area. Any suggestions?

Forgot to add that the only way to get it to work was a reinstall.

Never had that problem before. We have 150+ Dells that we upgraded, and not one gave that error.

You sure the RAM is the right type? You should also boot with 64MB, then increase your pagefile size for the new RAM, shut the PC off, install the new RAM, then startup again.

Try that.
Pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

I will try the second approach and see what happens.

Thanks

Some times it works some times it does not.W2K like to manage hardware itself and can get very picky when it finds base hardware has been changed.M$ states that a reinstall may be in order when the hardware has been changed. They do not mean with add on cards, but even then it can cause problems.

It sounds like mis-matched RAM. Are you just adding chips to existing, or completly replacing existing with new?

Be wary of the first. Windows gets a bit nuts when different speed RAM is in the system. Timing is everything!

I received the same error. I've checked MS web page and they say it is due to one of three things. Buggy software (like they have room to point fingers), bad memory, or anti-virus software.

I tried all of the above. I don't know of any "buggy" software that I have to unload. Did the original poster of this message ever resolve the problem? I tried the pagefile increase, but no dice. I originally thought it was the RAM, but I bought another 128MB card and ended up with the same results.
I am truly at my wits end. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Did you get the RAM from Dell? I just upgraded 60 W2KPro workstations from 128 to 256. No problems. It was using Dell memory.

Just a thought...

polymath5--- I don't have a Dell, I have an IBM Aptiva, and the memory I purchased was from the IBM website for my exact model etc. I think I am going to re-install W2kPro to see if these alleviates the problem.

The ram could be simply faulty try a diagnostics program a simple one that can boot from DOS disk maybe amidiag I think might work.

I have the same problem with 2 x Dell L800cx machines. Upgrading the base 64Mb with an additional 128Mb (from Dell) produces the same fault.

Removing the old memory does not solve this issue. I tested the memory with diag software (on another machine) and the memory is fine.

Dell tech have no idea only re-install?!

I would not like to re-install to resolve this. Must be a better option.

I had this problem with Gateway systems. The Gateway technitian told me that this is a known issue with pre-loaded Win2000 systems of a certain era from various manufacturers. Your choices are apparently to either reload Win2000 from scratch or to do a repair installation of Win2000. If you do a repair installation pick Install Windows 2000 from the first screen and then when it prompts that a copy of windows already exists, repair from there. It is apparently important not to select repair from the first screen.(according to the documentation) I have not tried it yet.

I'm back to say that the repair of Windows 2000 works as described in my previous post. There are two problems that must be dealt with:
1. During the repair you are prompted for all of the .CAT files which windows install seesms to be unable to extract from the .CA_ files on the windows 2000 CD. I copied all of them from a different PC onto a CD and pointed it to there.
2. Once install is complete I received errors saying that the machine could not be added to the domain, but once it rebooted the domain was contacted. When you try to open your Exchange mailbox you get a message saying that the information store can't be opened. You have to remove and add back TCP/IP to resolve this issue.

These steps avoid a format and install from scratch. Hope it helps.

I have a non-brandname machine using AMD +1700. It has been running fine for 3 months. One day I got the error "page fault in non paged area," and after that Win2K and WinXp could never boot successfully. I found out the problem is caused by faulty memory. I have 2 pairs of PC2100 DDR (made by Crucial), and after I removed one of them, the problem is gone.

Hopefull this may help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back