Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding machine to domain Q? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

slazzari

MIS
Dec 21, 2000
US
Wondering if someone could answer the following question for me:

I had a machine this morning, not on the domain (fresh out of the box). Lets say its name was 'A'. I got the machine on the network, and added the machine to the domain, without a problem. Then I needed to change the machines name to 'B'. However, it would not let me, and complained about 'existing set of credentials conflicting'. To get the machine on the domain as 'B', I had to remove it from the domain, and into a workgroup (reboot), change the name (reboot), and finally add it to the domain (reboot).

Can anyone explain this to me?

thanks!

The PC actually gets on the network with a SID (a unique number generated when the PC requests permission to join the network) The SID is in the PDC Server. This number is assigned to the name "A".
So when you change the name to "B" there is no SID in the domain for it. the SID is refering to "A" and now the PC is called "B" so you can't get in. Removing it and re-joining the domain forces it to generate a new SID so it can be part of the domain again. the only way you can remove a PC from a domain is to force it into a Workgroup. Now wonce ist out of the domain then it can re-join it

Or something like that anyway
DougP, MCP

Visit my WEB site to see how Bar-codes can help you be more productive

Doug -

Thanks for the response. So, the only way to rename a machine on the domain, is to remove it first? Blech! :)

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back