Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding lots of people to a distribution list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrissirhc

Programmer
May 20, 2000
GB
I'm the owner of a DL and I need to add about 400 people to it via outlook. Whats the quickest way to do this?

Thanks,

Chris

Ask the sys admin to do it for you via directory import?

Really, there's no quick and dirty method from Outlook, unless you can easily block select the population from one of the address book containers, such as all the recipients in a particular site.

My admins told me it isn't possible to automate it. What is directory import?

Is your DL created in Outlook or is it a server based DL, created on Exchange?
Are the memebrs homed on the server or do they have external addresses, outside your organization?

I believe it is a server based DL, I'm the owner so I can add and remove people. All the members are internal.

Well, Chrissirhc, your sys admin is being economical with the truth, or doesn't know how to do it. Tell them to read which gives a good general overview of the topic. It really isn't that difficult, the hardest part is selecting the rows for the people you want in the DL from the export file of all the GAL. After that it only takes a minute or two to import the file, and then the DL is populated.

I stumbled upon this link while trying to solve my own DL issues. It talks about using a text file that can be modified at any time. Read the article and see for yourself if this is close to what you would like to do. It may not be the quickest initial.setup but it will be quicker and easy to make changes to the mailing list after it is setup. And it can be done by users in your organization that dont' need to have special permissions. Keep one thing in mind...anything is possible. Don't accept "It can't be done".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back