Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

adding local printer to definity

Status
Not open for further replies.

SnakeDr

MIS
Mar 18, 2002
US
How hard is it to get a printer going with this system?
What is the best source of documentation for this? Im not sure what kind of printer Im going to be using. Are there any restrictions?

Thanks
Pat

What switch version do you have("list config soft")? Do you have a C-Lan board (TN799)?

Chris

That command doesnt show me anything about boards

First do you have a SAT ( 715 or 513). If you do there is a a printer port on the back of it. You will need to activate the port through the terminal set up.
Next you will need to go to page 4 ( on R9 )of system features and set system printer end point to EIA ( if not using CDR output ). Other wise you will need to use a data module for the output.
Hope this helps.:)

What I am after is your switch version. You need version 9.5 to have the abilty to print out to network printers. Please do the list config soft and let me know what version you have.

If you do have a C-Lan board a system printer would be set as follows:

I assume your C-Lan is allready set and working. Do the command "change node-name ip". Enter a name for the printer you are going to add and the ip address for the printer. Do the command "change ip-services". Now select a blank line to make an entry, for service type put in SYS_PRINT. Point it to the node-name you entered in node-name ip form. I'll assume it's a HP printer. Use port 9100 for the printer. Do the "ping node {nodename} command and make sure you get a response for the printer. If not trouble shoot until you cna see the printer. Enter the command "change system features". Go to the page that lists the system printer. In the field that shows the system printer port enter SYS_PRINT. Your done. Now to print to your printer use the command pr after your commands (example: "display sta 1234 pr" would print all the station information for station 1234), It will display a field that says immediate or scheduled. If you select immediate it will print immediately. If you select schedule it will open another form with dyas and times, walk through the days and time you wish to print. This is not all the details but an amount of detail that should get you going. Hope this helps

Thanks
Chris

Chris ,
great info as allways,
I tried it the way you said, but on the cha ip-services the system comes back with a message:
"Printer_01" Node must be defined as a valid ethernet link on a CLAN.
So I went into the change-ip interfaces screen and tried to add it there as an interface.

page now contains:
y C-LAN 01C11 TN799C clan_01 255.255.255.0 10.0.0.1
y MEDPRO 01B11 TN2302 medpro_01 255.255.255.0 10.0.0.1
y C-LAN 01C11 TN799C Printer_01 255.255.255.0 10.0.0.1

I added the last line and it complains the last entry is a duplicate

What did I do wrong, or can't I assign more than one item to a single C-LAN board..

Any Idea?

Thanks

Rob

You only need to add the printer node name, Avaya doesn't allow IP address in the IP forms, to point to the printer.

change node-name ip (Add the printer IP here)

ch ip-services

sys_print Y {c-lan node name} 0 {printer node name} 9100

This should get you going. If not let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks
Chris

I've tried the same thing on my switch Chris, but when i try to print i get "printer failed"

i can ping the printer via nodename, and it is a HP4050N, it does have IP printing turned on, and I know its functional.

I have added the line in ip-services, then I have set the sys_print in the "chan system featu"

any ideas on how to troubleshoot?

BuckWeet

If you can ping the address from the Definity but get a "printer failed" I would suspect that the UDP port specified (9100 if you used the example above) is not setup on the printer. 9100 is default for an HP printer. Check the printers docs and see what they are using and if has been setup to allow RAW printing. Any firewall issues, ports blocked etc?

Thanks
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back