Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding Hub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troopa

Technical User
Nov 9, 2001
GB
Hi all,

We have a stand aloan PC without a network card and this sits next to another PC that is connected to the network.

The PC that's on the network has a cable running from the NIC into a wall socket. I believe this same cable then runs into a Switch.

I was thinking of buying a NIC/Hub/Cable to use to connect the other PC. So if I was to unplug the cable from the PC that's on the network, then plug the hub into it and run another cable from the hub to the new NIC/PC would I have any problems? Or does it all depend on other network factors?

Thanks

I advise you to get a NIC, a small switch and two more ethernet cables.

The switch should not be much more expensive than a hub (I would not use a hub unless it was free) and as the existing cable will got from the wall to the switch, you will need one to go from each PC to the switch.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back