Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding FTP users 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoomforce

Technical User
Jan 6, 2002
CA
I run apache and would like to give some of my friends a ftp account so they can upload only to a special folder, is there any easy way to do this?

thanks for pointing out the obvious and not answering the question.

can't you set them up a guest ftp account and chroot them to an upload directory with your html tree?

Thanks for your response, but im a moron newbie and really have no idea what you just said.

This really isn't the right forum for asking this. And with the information you provided (none) it isn't easy to help even if you would be in the right forum. //Daniel

Mandrake Linux, with WU FTP, and PRO FTP.. i have no idea how to use either, although i can FTP somehow if i enter my username and password that i set up apache with, although I have no idea how to add another user.

Try executing the following commands as root:
useradd username
passwd username
If that doesn't work, you would have to find out where the FTP server keeps it's login details. //Daniel

well i figure that will add a username to the linux, but how do i configure it so it only has access to a certain folder for ftp?

Oh, I forgot about that part. Delete the user with the userdel command and execute these commands:
mkdir /path/to/uploads/folder
useradd -d /path/to/uploads/folder username
passwd username
If the FTP server is setup to chroot users into their own home directory (mentioned above), the user wouldn't have access to any directory or file above the home directory. //Daniel

thanks.. I wish i could use webmin to do that man would that be great.

hey i did it and i kinda worked, except the user can log in and go and look around below thier root directory, Is there a way to make it so they only can see thier own folder?

If it really is _below_ their home directory, you can't limit their access. Or actually, you could, but it would be a pain to setup. //Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back