Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding external SATA drive to RAID 1 System

Status
Not open for further replies.

w7zr

Technical User
Jul 15, 2001
Win XP Pro running RAID1 with SATA drives. No problem. Have an external 1TB drive via USB no problem. Decided to change the external to SATA. When I powered up I had an indication there was a problem with the RAID configuration and it was taking forever to boot. I stopped the process and removed the external SATA connection. Getting back to normal now. My question is why can't I add an external SATA drive to my RAID 1 system?

More details please...chipset, RAID controller, etc.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Intel D945PVS mb

It could have been trying to expand your RAID across the new disk and that would take a long time (replacing a broken disk on an array can take in excess of 12 hours to resync that data).

However I would be surprised if this was the case, I would have expected you to have to recreate the array with the additional disk rather than just expanding it by adding another disk to it.

Simon

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Must have been a one time occurrence as all seems fine now. The external SATA drive is being recognized and the RAID 1 SATA drives are functioning normally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back