Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

adding drives to PV220s

Status
Not open for further replies.

9amwhiskey

IS-IT--Management
Sep 6, 2005
US
If have 2 virtual disks (0 and 1), and I want to consolidate to one big virutal disk (0), can i do this by deleting the 1 virutal disk and assigning all of 1's drives to the 0 virtual disk without having to rebuild the raid or lose any informtion on the 0 virtual disk?

It depends on the RAID controller you're using, but most of them should support this, yes. In fact Dell even states in some of their documentation that this can be done online in a running environment (though I wouldn't recommend testing that.)

Isaac Orr

i guess the real question is can I add drives to the virtual disk that i want without losing any information on that virtual disk.

example...
D: has 7 drives
E: has 7 drives

D: becomes 14 drives (7 from E are added to D without losing any of the orignal information on D:.
E: deleted

hope that helps to understand my issue......i'm pretty much trying to save myself from a weekend of transfering a lot of info to a NAS, rebuilding RAID and recreating virtual disks.

It depends on your filesystem/OS... Once you've increased the size of the virtual disks on the RAID controller, you still have partitions of whatever size they were originally.. If you're running a filesystem that allows you to extend the partition size then you're fine. In the windows world this would mean something like using dynamic disks (instead of basic), in the Unix world things like Veritas/other partition management tools.

Isaac Orr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back