Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

amb1s1

Technical User
Nov 21, 2005
US
It probably a stupid question. I just install 2003 enterprise and I will like to add a new domain because I'm setting this server so 8 user can use it. To add a domain do I have to registered. If I have a domain, but I using it for my website, can I used it? If you have any tip about domain, I will appreciate if you share it with me.

If you wish to have that domain visible on the internet, then I would register the name. Also keep in mind that you don't have to have a domain name that falls into the standard "." suffix such as .com, .org, etc. You could name it Domain.Local for example, which is very common in a business environment. That doesn't require registration because .Local doesn't exist on the internet as a valid extension. And, if you want to make a web server from domain.local visible on the internet as then all it takes is a DNS record at your ISP that points to the public IP address of your web server. Does it really matter that the server is really in domain.local? No. So what's the advantage? 1. You don't have to register domains like .local and you don't want the outside world to be able to see the domain anyway for security reasons. 2. You can still have specific services like mail and web from .local appear as though they are from company.com on the internet (the one you will register for internet visibility).

A+/MCP/MCSE/MCDBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back