Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding Disk Drive in RAID5 on PE2450 with PERC3/Si

Status
Not open for further replies.

benzaii

IS-IT--Management
Oct 21, 2002
FR
SOS !!!
I have 3 disk of 18GB and want to add one more.
I supposed i have to add it in the SCSI BIOS then
use the utilities CLI to reconfigure the RAID.
But i don't know where can i specifies the partition to grow up (here it's /home already on /dev/sda2)!!!!
Should i use fdisk ???

It's looks as if you are using LINUX as your O/S. I am not familiar with LINUX on Dell servers, but my instructions below may be similar for LINUX based systems.....

Experience has proven to me that the FASTEST way to expand the container(s) is to:

-backup all your data
-delete the containers in the BIOS directly
-recreate the container(s) in the BIOS directly (including the new disk of course). Select "clear" as the Raid 5 creation type.
-using Array Manager, recreate the volume(s)
-restore the data.

By managing the containers at the BIOS level, a lot more system resources are available for the task. IF you were to do it from FAST or Array Manager, the O/S would gobble up a lot of resources and slow the process way, way, way down

In NT/2000 you'd just use a Volume Set (possibly a dynamic disk in 2000 if the RAID set didn't include your system partition). On LINUX I have no clue :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back