Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding Disclaimer to all outgoing mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

protocolpcs

IS-IT--Management
Mar 29, 2003
US
What are the steps to setting up a disclaimer message on every outgoing email from our Exchange 2000 server?

The best way is with a third part product like GFI's Mail Essentials. Rumor has it that the 30 day demo version keeps working after 30 days.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

We use DisclaimIt. Small programs that simply does this one function, and doesn't take up much memory. Used it for 2+ yrs, just set it and leave it alone. Cheap, too.

Last seen GFi Mail Essentials works as a disclaimer after the trial period for free. Can't get better priced than that :)

Well if it's GFI I'm sure it's using resources it doesn't need to, even after the 30 days...

Thank you for the info. I am going to assume that Exchange won't do the job for me.
Do these third party apps install on the server and work with Exchange? Do they slow the mail delivery?

Yes, they install on the server. GFI's solution has a lot of cool features built in. And, the disclaimer is awesome. Their products are built right, don't cause problems, and aren't resource hogs.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

FYI

We still have an unresolved problem where if we activate the GFI disclaimer, recipients of emails to multiple external recipients are unable to open any attachments sent with the email.

=> We have had the GFI disclamer switched off for a few months now, to avoid the problem.

Disclaimit take up 1.336MB memory on our Exchange server with 150 users. I would bet GFI uses more, and has additional software that isn't necessary for the process. As awesome as it's features may be, if you just want a disclaimer, cut and dry, this is the best option we have found. We looked at both, and with an aging Exchange server, you need make sure there aren't any unecessary processes.

Great points and solutions. Thank you all. Disclaimit is the cheapest I saw at $185.00 for 50 users. GFI had a lot of management features that may be very useful, but it was expensive.
Thank you for answering my post. I will give Disclaimit a try.

We have a small firm and simply add the disclaimers to everyone's email signature. Probably out of the question for large companys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back