Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding diacritical marks to specific characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

maguskrool

Technical User
Dec 11, 2006
PT
Hi. I'm using InDesign CS3 an have recently began working on a science journal project. Most articles have complex equations and, for lack of better options in my workplace, I'm laying them out by hand.

The real problem, at least for now, is adding custom diacritical marks to certain characters that don't usually contain them, not even in foreign languages. Specifically, I got stumped trying to add an ^ to an F. I'm sure there are plenty other cases, but I figure that perhaps a general solution may be found.

Thanks in advance.

You have to use a combo of baseline shifting and kerning back to something like -200...
See highlighted sections in the Character Pallet

Baseline.png

Then Track it back like

Tract.png

Marcus

Thanks to both of you.

Marcus, I was trying to avoid that sort of workarounds, but since I have no other options I'll probably go with your suggestion.

Eugene, yeah, I had stumbled upon that script as well, but I'll probably have to modify it (assuming I can) because it didn't work for my particular example. The F and the ^ were juxtaposed, creating a weird glyph.

It claims to create a glyph for whatever you want, if not in the glyphs of the font, it claims to create the glyph by adjusting the kerning etc. You should leave a comment on that there page about it and see if the author of the script can amend it so it works for your examples. They would probably love your feedback in getting it working right.

Thanks, I sent him an e-mail as soon as I saw the script worked for plenty of cases but not that specific one. I'm hoping he'll answer. In the meanwhile I'll keep searching for alternatives, you never know...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back