Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding Crystal Forms to Work Order Module 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jam1967

Technical User
Jan 31, 2008
US
I have created a new Work Order Traveler in Crystal and am having problems getting MAS to recognize it as a form.

I can go to Library Master - Setup - Report Manager - and add custom reports to the menu. I have no problems doing this.

However I want the new WO Traveler to show up in - Work Order - Main - Work Order Traveler Printing - and I believe it should show up under Traveler Form Code. I have tried many things but still stumped.

I have also tried to edit the existing forms in MAS, and find that I can add text labels to the report, but cannot add a new table or a new database field from even the existing tables.

Would appreciate any assistance.

jam1967,

You do have to edit the form through Work Order Traveler Printing and use the FORM button. Make sure that you have it checked as a Graphical form in Workorder Options on the setup menu.

Andy

Andy,

Thanks for input. Have done those things that you suggested. I can edit the forms and delete fields, add bar code etc. But the problem is when I want to add new tables or new fields to the existing form.

I have created the new form that I want to use in Crystal but cannot get MAS to recognize it.

I even gave the new form the same name as an exisiting form, to try and fool MAS but got an error message from MAS saying that the field was not recognised.

John

John,

Forms (and Business Framework - 4.x module reports) are special cases. You have to start with the provided form (through the FORM button) because MAS uses work tables that are populated at the time you print and send sort and selection criteria to the forms programmatically.

Often adding tables to forms can be a problem like really slowing down the report. I usually have better luck adding information to a form with sub-reports.

Andy

Andy,

So I must always start with modifying the existing form - thanks. That explains why I could not get it to work.

A couple of questions:

1. If I add a subreport, as you suggested, and use tables which were not included in the original report in the subreport, will MAS display the data from the new subreport tables? In my original attempts (and not using a subreport) when I added a new table, I ended up with a blank report, with no data, only the field text labels were printed out on the report.

2. If I go into Resources - File Layouts and Program nformation - File and Table Listings - Work Order - there are files with names such as WO1 thru WO9 and almost identical files such as WO_01 thru WO_30. The files with the underscore, eg WO_28 are used in the MAS reports for Work Order Travelers. I typically have used the files WO1 to WO9 and so on. Which files should I be using to retrieve data from? Can you tell me briefly what the files with the underscore are for?

Thanks again for your help. I think I am almost there.

John

John,

1. Sure, you can have data from subreports print on the form. Most likely the reason you were just getting field text labels is because you tried to preview the form while in Crystal. You need to save the report changes and then print or preview using MAS (that's when the work tables get populated) to see your results.

2. You need to look at the TRSG file layouts to dertermine what tables to use. WO1 and WO_01 are two totally different files containing different information.

Andy

Andy,

1. I was previewing it in MAS. What I have found out (I think) is that

a) If I add a new field from an existing table the data, for that field only, is not reported

b) If I add a new field(s) from a new table to an existing section then I get a blank report.

c) I find that if I delete a section and then recreate it with the additional fields from new tables, it seems to print out OK.

d) I also got the subreport to work.

But nevertheless it is all somewhat confusing!

2. What I meant to say was that if a field (say ComponentItemNumber in WO2) has the same name (again say ComponentItemNumber in WO_28), I am assuming that I can use either in a report. I saw that the Work Order Traveler Crystal forms were using the files with the underscore and I wondered if there was any significance in that. But it appears that there is none.

3. I thank you for spending the time to help me. You have removed the road block. I have tried a couple of things and can see I am on the home straight. It is just a matter of me experimenting and fiddling around till I get the report exactly as I want it.

It would have been a lot easier if MAS allowed us to create the report in Crystal and then install it in the forms section, just as we can do with the Custom reports.

Thanks again
John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back