Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding contacts to address book from an e-mail

Status
Not open for further replies.

joker19745

Technical User
Jan 5, 2004
US
My parents Win 98 SE crashed and I installed it, and they lost all their contacts from the Outlook Express 6.0 address book. I found an old e-mail they sent me that contains all the addresses of their contacts and was wondering if there is a way to add the contacts back without having to manually type them in? I searched around the toolbars looking for a way to cut and paste, drag and drop, anything other than typing them in, they have a lot of contacts, looking for an easier way.

You should be able to import from a .csv file into 0e6...

If you received this from your parents with all the other addresses in the To: field, the easiest way for your parents (might be a little annoying to all the others) would be:

You do a 'reply to all' on the message that you have. When your parents receive it, all the addresses should again be in the To: field. They can open the message, right click on the name and 'add to address book'.

I'd copy them out of the To: field and put them into BCC !

But then the parents wouldn't get them, which is the whole point.

Oops, I apologise.

I was thinking all they'd get were the nicknames and so you could send every contact an email saying 'please hit reply so I can confirm your email address'. That way they'd also know which addresses 'work'.

The .csv file is the best way though (usng excel).

The email account that I have is a hotmail account. When I forwarded the email with all their contacts on it to my parents outlook address, the TO: Field addresses run together. ex. "My name"<myname@aol.com>,"someone elses first name (quotes end after the next persons name). Since the first persons email address and the first name of the next persons address are all underlined as one address outlook adds them this way. Thinking about just typing them in as I've already spent some time messing around with this. I'll backup their address book after I get the contacts in so I don't have to do this again. Thanks for your help

That's too bad. There's one last possibility that's worth a look. If you didn't format the drive and there's still old data, search the hard drive for *.wa~. If found, this file is a backup of the address book that can be renamed. It may or not be there depending on what OE version, when the address book was last saved, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back