Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding Computer Names into DNS??

Status
Not open for further replies.

imraptor

IS-IT--Management
Feb 5, 2003
US
I've got a Win2000 server (no Active Directory) who's sole function is DNS. I've got a few computers who are sharing files that the whole company uses, but because of subnetting other clients can not browse for computer names.

What I would like to do is to add the workstation's name into DNS so that the users can use names instead of IP addresses to identify computers on the network.

I know it is done automatically in Active Directory when the computer joins the domain, but I don't run a domain or AD. Any suggestions? Thanks

Actually , to browse a PC's by NAme , you must implement WINS. DNS - is for FQDN names resolution.

Victor K
psas@canada.com
MCSE+I;MCSA;MCSE(w2k);CNE(5.1);CNE(6);CIWSP;CIWSA;Net+;CCNA

DNS on 2000 is dynamic. It can register the DNS name of any computer capable of requesting it... meaning 2000 and XP can tell the DNS server to update with their entries. If you use DHCP, it has the capability of registering those computers that do not support dynamic DNS update (i.e. NT, WIN 95) by checking a box. Check your DNS and you will see the entries. This does you no good, though, if you are using netbios over tcp/ip in your network settings. If all your clients are on the same subnet, you should see other computers that have file and print sharring in the "my network places" after a minute or so (give it time to receive the netbios broadcasts) by netbios name. If you have different subnets, you will need a WINS server to register netbios names across the router. To make a compute available on the network, add file and print sharring. Its the "server" part of network services that is accessed by client for mircrosoft networks.

Well darn. Thanks for your help, I didn't want to implement the WINS service. File sharing is already enabled and works within the building, but doesn't work past the router because we disable netbios across the WAN.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back