Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

adding authentication information into a URL

Status
Not open for further replies.

airbourne

MIS
Sep 11, 2003
I need some help. I have a webpage at my company the requires a username and password. What I would like to do is put the username and password information into a URL. Is this still possible? The old format doesn't seem to work.

If I put in the following URL format, I do get prompted for a username and password (note this is not an active URL to my knowledge, but rather just an example of the webpage I type to get prompted for the password).

If the top format is correct, can any of you web gurus tell me what types of webpages that username:password syntax is not valid: such as JavaScript, PHP, etc..

What my goal is: To provide a URL that I can give to people that will automatically log you into the website without being prompted.

Thank you!

I assume Security is not a priority then?

A recent update to IE removed the functionality to pass the username/password pair in the way you are trying to do it. Your syntax is correct (and will work on older browsers and some of the non-IE browsers out there)... but as you can tell from the reaction to your thread... it is not considered a secure solution and is discouraged.

You can either find another way of doing this, or encourage your users to downgrade to an earlier version of IE [sarcasm](and ask them to not apply any more IE related security patches)[/sarcasm].

Cheers,
Jeff

I agree with all of you, in that I do NOT want to do this. However powers that be decided not to take my advice.

Thankfully the person requesting this, is requesting it for his users and not mine.

Do you know if auto complete and save password will work? I've heard that there are a few passwords that cannot be saved in this manner, am I correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back