Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding another RAID disk to SCO UNIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivessm

Programmer
Nov 30, 2003
US
I'm having trouble adding another RAID 1 mirror to an existing SCO UNIX system that already has a RAID 5 running off of the same controller.

Here is the equipment:
Compaq Smart Array 431 Controller Rev A, v1.02
2 LOGICAL drives made up as follows:
- RAID 5 Array: 3 disks (this is the active drive now)
- New RAID 1 Array: 2 disks

Boot screen reports:
Drive 0080 detected
Drive 0081 detected

Then the Boot: line is written to the screen.

During SCO boot the screen shows the first RAID 5 array:
%disk - - - Type=S ha=0 id=0 lun=0 bus=0 ht=clad

I have tried to install the new RAID 1 Array using:
ha=0 id=0 lun=1 bus=0 ht=clad but the device files are not made when I run mkdev hd, reboot, and run it again.

I'm wondering is anyone can shed some light on this perplexing problem.

I have searched SCO's and Compaq sites and can't find anything that helps.

Thanks in advance.

stew

Compaq has their own "mkdev" utility which I had to run on a similarly configured box.

# mkdev cpqclad

The utility is part of the HP/Compaq Extended Feature Supplement, available for download from their website.

Thanks I'll look into it and keep you posted.

stew

your second "array" is just the second logical device supplied by your controller. so use ha=0 id=1 lun=0 bus=0 ht=clad
for the "new array

Stanhubble,

That's what I figured the first time I tried this but I chickened out in going all the way through the 2nd mkdev hd script.

I then found a post on the SCO forum that stated:

===========================

Result of SCO Knowledge Base search "add raid disk"
How do I configure additional logical drives that I configured through my Hardware RAID Configuration Utility?

Release
SCO OpenServer Enterprise System Release 5.0.0, 5.0.2, 5.0.4, 5.0.5
SCO OpenServer Host System Release 5.0.0, 5.0.2, 5.0.4, 5.0.5
SCO OpenServer Desktop System Release 5.0.0, 5.0.2, 5.0.4, 5.0.5
SCO OpenServer Internet FastStart Release 5.0.4

Problem

I don't know the SCSI ID and logical unit number (LUN) to configure my additional logical drives through "mkdev hd", after configuring these logical drives through the Hardware Raid Configuration Utility.

Solution

Additional logical drives will all be located at scsi id 0. The logical unit number will increase incrementally starting at 0 for the first logical drive. So, if you are adding a second logical drive, the LUN will be 1.

===========================

I tried ID=0 LUN=1 but it failed to make the correct devices, probably because they are not there.

I am about to go back and try the ID=1 LUN=0 and see what that does but only after a good backup.

Also I noticed the system doesn't have any of the Compaq EFS's loaded so that might also be a problem.

Thanks for your input.

stew

Here's a list of configured logical drives using a slightly different COMPAQ RAID adapter:

# hwconfig -h|grep sk
disk - - - type=S ha=0 id=0 lun=0 bus=0 ht=ciss unit=0
Sdsk - - - cyls=8716 hds=255 secs=32 unit=0 fts=stdb
Sdsk-0 - - - Vnd=HP Prd=LOGICAL VOLUME Rev=2.32
disk - - - type=S ha=0 id=1 lun=0 bus=0 ht=ciss unit=1
Sdsk - - - cyls=8716 hds=255 secs=32 unit=1 fts=stdb
Sdsk-1 - - - Vnd=HP Prd=LOGICAL VOLUME Rev=2.32

I think you'll need to get the EFS installed and use their slightly modified way of adding disks. You'll see an additional parameter (i.e. unit=1) defined. This is the first time I've had to use a special utility to add the second filesystem. Leave it to Compaq to add their own twist to things.

motoslide,

Yes, I've seen where ciss is a special case and requires special handling and special commands. Yes, leave it to Compaq to bugger things up.

I think clad is more along the lines of conventional. I'll get down and play with the system as soon as time permits. I'll update on what I find.

Thanks for your input.

stew

Some RAID controllers use the scsi ID and LUN of the first drive in the array as address of the logical drive.

Assuming that you set all the Drive's SCSI ID's consecutively, you might try ID=3 LUN=0

I would think the array's address would be listed when you go into the array configuration utility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back