Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding another processor in Windows 2000 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericwi

IS-IT--Management
Feb 19, 2002
SG
Hi all,

I am planning to add another processor in my Windows 2000 box. Does anyone know how it is done?

Thanks

I did n't know there were any particular issues to worry about? I have added additional CPU's and as long I could see it in POST then in Task Manager > Performance I was happy.

Hi all,

Thanks for replying. I asked this question is because I have this server is running on quad-core processor by Intel. In the Taskmgr, it showed 4-processors. I understand W2k supports up to 4 processors and I need to upgrade to w2k Advanced Server to supports 8 processor.

Now, I got another quad-core processor for this server and I was wondering after installing this processor, will it still show 4 processors or 8 processors?

Another question related to processor-adding but this time is w2003. What is the max processor w2003 can support?

Thanks again for the reply.

Well i would think since you have a multi core cpu and windows sees all 4 cores that the multi proc driver is installed and working. adding another multi core cpu should be plug and play at this point. see the following link for max cpu's, it depends on the version of 2k3 server you have.

RoadKi11

Windows 2000 Server supports 4 CPUs. However, Windows 2000 Server is dumb and does not understand HyperThreading and Multicore CPUs. While it will recognize the cores/HT technology, it will only use up to 4 processors.

Microsoft licenses Windows based on the number of PHYSICAL SOCKETS for CPUs (based on the actual number of CPUs installed in the motherboard). But since 2000 doesn't understand this, it won't recognize all 8 processors (16 if they are HT enabled).

Server 2003 will PROPERLY utilize all cores and HT abilities. Standard server is also limited to 4 CPUs, I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back