Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding and Subtracting Vectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeymik

Programmer
Apr 23, 2003
GB
I'm just new to vhdl, I'm having problems adding specific vectors, i keep getting a type mismatch error. I'm just looking to do something simple like:

vec:STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(7 downto 0);

I<= (vec(2)+(2*vec(3))+vec(4))-((vec(5)+(2*vec(6))+vec(7));

However I seem to declare them, i get the same message.
Please someone help.

+ and - are arithmetic operators and can only be used with arithmetic types such as integer.

When you declare a std_logic type. You must use logical operators such as OR, AND, NAND, etc..

Hope this helps

M.

Arithmetic operators can be used on std_logic_vector data types provided you use the necessary package.

As far as performing the arith opertions on single bit is concerned, you can declare a single bit as std_logic_vector(0 downto 0 ) instead of doing it as std_logic.

Note that, whenever * operator is used, the size of the result has to be sum of the widths of operands.

If in your code, if you eliminate the * operator, you can make it work by modifying it as follows:
[Note the usage of 'unsigned' package and the way the output I has been declared.

--________________________________

library ieee;
use ieee.std_logic_1164.all;
use ieee.std_logic_unsigned.all;

entity bitadd is
port(
vec: in STD_LOGIC_VECTOR(7 downto 0);
i: out std_logic_vector(0 downto 0));--std_logic);
end entity bitadd;

architecture rtl of bitadd is
begin
i <= (vec(2 downto 2)+(vec(3 downto 3))+vec(4 downto 4)) - ((vec(5 downto 5)+(vec(6 downto 6))+vec(7 downto 7)));
end rtl;
--_________________________

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back