Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding an RSS feed to a website 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TobyA

MIS
Nov 7, 2002
GB
Hi,

A client wants to add an RSS feed to his website. I've been doing some research on the Internet and now I'm just more confused :-(

From what I gather you need to use some server-side technology to parse the feed to the browser as HTML. We host the website using IIS, so we can use ASP if necessary.

The feed they want to add is here -

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Toby

I assume you mean you want to display a feed from another site on your site? Rather than publish your own feed?

In that case you are correct, you need to grab the feed (which is just an xml file) and then parse it into HTML.

Since the feed is XML you could possibly transform it using XSLT but if you want to display it on your site then a script to parse the file is what you need.

Might I suggest Googling for rss parser asp. You'll find loads of ready made scripts out there to help you.

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

Is that a Javascript?
I'd advise on using a server side script if at all possible.

<honk>*:O)</honk>

Tyres: Mine's a pint of the black stuff.
Mike: You can't drink a pint of Bovril.

It uses Javascript and ASP by the look of things.

In fact it says it will not work if Javascript is disabled.

Back to Google then I guess...

I managed to get this working locally (sort of)...

rss-screenprint1.jpg

However, when I put this page on our web server I get an error message:-
The file I am using is here:-

Thanks again for your help.

You should continue your quest in the forum333. They will be of more help with asp errors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back