Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding an open router to a static network

Status
Not open for further replies.

CHERN

IS-IT--Management
Jun 9, 2004
US
We currently have all the computers in our business set up with static IP addresses. Recently, we've been having more customers coming in with their laptops and wanting to use our wireless internet. And we have to set up their laptops with a static IP for them to do so. My question is, can I install another router with DHCP enabled (not static)? And would I run the ethernet from my existing router, or from the cable modem (our modem has extra ports)? I want to make it so that we don't have to make any changes with our existing business computers, and so that a customer can connect to the new router automatically without changing any IP settings.

I'm not really advanced in the network setup field, so detailed explanations would be greatly appreciated.

You could use another router or find an Access Point the does DHCP. Also in your router you could set up a reverve using your pc's MAC so that they get the same IP and only open up a small IP segment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back