Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding an Alias column with standard information 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cpreston

MIS
Mar 4, 2015
GB
Hi

I have a view that I am using to export information. Some of the information we do not hold in any tables and the result would always be the same.

So we have Delivery or Collection, I always want it to be D.
We also have Breakable and the result will always be 0

How do I add an alias in a view that it will always populate the result set with D and 0 in the respective alias columns. This is the code form SQL as the view looks now.

Thanks

SELECT dbo.Customer.CustomerCode, dbo.Customer.Name, dbo.CustomerAddress.Address1, dbo.CustomerAddress.Address2, dbo.CustomerAddress.Address3,
dbo.CustomerAddress.City, dbo.CustomerAddress.County, dbo.JourneySODetail.DeliveryPostCode, dbo.DeliveryArea.Name AS [Cust.text03],
dbo.Customer.CustomerCode AS [Call.ID], dbo.JourneySODetail.TotalVolume, dbo.JourneySODetail.TotalWeight, dbo_OrderHeader.DateRequired,
dbo_OrderHeader.CustomerRef, dbo_OrderHeader.HeaderNotes
FROM dbo_OrderHeader INNER JOIN
dbo.CustomerAddress ON dbo_OrderHeader.DeliveryAddressID = dbo.CustomerAddress.CustomerAddressID INNER JOIN
dbo.JourneyHeader ON dbo_OrderHeader.JourneyID = dbo.JourneyHeader.JourneyID INNER JOIN
dbo.Customer ON dbo_OrderHeader.CustomerID = dbo.Customer.CustomerID INNER JOIN
dbo.DeliveryArea ON dbo_OrderHeader.DeliveryAreaID = dbo.DeliveryArea.DeliveryAreaID INNER JOIN
dbo.JourneySODetail ON dbo_OrderHeader.OrderID = dbo.JourneySODetail.OrderID

How about just hard-coding it as a constant in the view?

SELECT dbo.Customer.CustomerCode, dbo.Customer.Name, dbo.CustomerAddress.Address1, dbo.CustomerAddress.Address2, dbo.CustomerAddress.Address3,
dbo.CustomerAddress.City, dbo.CustomerAddress.County, dbo.JourneySODetail.DeliveryPostCode, dbo.DeliveryArea.Name AS [Cust.text03],
dbo.Customer.CustomerCode AS [Call.ID], dbo.JourneySODetail.TotalVolume, dbo.JourneySODetail.TotalWeight, dbo_OrderHeader.DateRequired,
dbo_OrderHeader.CustomerRef, dbo_OrderHeader.HeaderNotes, 'D' AS DELIVERY_OR_COLLECTION, 0 as BREAKABLE
FROM dbo_OrderHeader INNER JOIN
dbo.CustomerAddress ON dbo_OrderHeader.DeliveryAddressID = dbo.CustomerAddress.CustomerAddressID INNER JOIN
dbo.JourneyHeader ON dbo_OrderHeader.JourneyID = dbo.JourneyHeader.JourneyID INNER JOIN
etc, etc.

==================================
adaptive uber info galaxies (bigger, better, faster, and more adept than cognitive innovative agile big data clouds)

I never trust statements like "always want it to be D" and "the result will always be 0". I would create a small table with these values and include it in the SQL so that WHEN the values change, you can do it in data and not in hard-coded expressions.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back