Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding an additional front end server to your pool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajuntank

IS-IT--Management
May 20, 2003
US
Added an additional front end server to my Lync 2010 Ent pool and learned a thing or two that I would like to share in case someone else needs this info.

Getting the first front end server with backend SQL was easy enough (there a lot of step by step webites you can reference for that), but I ran into a few questions when implementing an additional front end for redundancy that the web wasn't so forth coming with its information. The best link I found was Of course, all of the documentation you see references using a hardware load balancer (HLB) but there is also the reference to using DNS load balancing as well.

What I seem to have determined was that the pool needs to be DNS load balanced and the webservices, harware load balanced. So for example, my Enterprise pool name is pool1.domain.com and my FE servers are lync1.domain.com and lync2.domain.com ;
so in DNS, I created two A records for pool1.domain.com (one for each IP address of my FE(s).

I also created a A record called lync.domain.com whose IP address is the VIP for the HLB. I re-ran Topology builder and changed the Internal web services from what I had (which was pool1.domain.com) to lync.domain.com. On my HLB, I have the appropriate services defined for Lync and they are tied to my two FE servers.

My external web services are set to the FQDN of my reverse proxy.

Lastly, be mindfull of using Interal CA for your certificates. I ran into an issue with my HLB in using a non-trusted CA and even though I had the company add the root CA into the trusted store on the appliance, I still had to use an option on the appliance to not "validate certificate".

Hope I could help.

Lots of things to watch out for when using DNS load balancing. Such as, legacy clients won't use it. Legacy clients are OCS clients, and any pre 4.0 client, like the OWA/Lync integration bits.

Do you have your Tek-Tips.com Swag? I've got mine!

Stop by the new Tek-Tips group at LinkedIn.

Let me correct something in my original post. I had to put my lync.domain.com, whose IP address is the VIP for my HLB as my external web services URL. I also had to add services to my HLB for port 4443 and 8080. This was the name I used in my reverse proxy's application publishing (using the UAG product instead of the TMG product, so that info is not too prevelant online).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back