Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding additional email address'

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadanB

IS-IT--Management
Feb 11, 2002
Hi All,

Our old email server was setup to use firstname.lasname@domain.com

Right now, Exchange is setup using FirstinitialLastname@domain.com

None of the email's addressed to firstname.lasname@domain.com reach the intended recpient. The emails get sent back with an NDR an 550 error. I've done this before and it works just fine. What am I doing incorrectly?

TIA!

Simply add the SMTP address under Email Addresses in AD.

Hope This Helps,

Good Luck!

Go into your recipient policy and add the format, which, IIRC is
%s.%g@domain.com

When prompted to add the addresses to existing items, choose Yes. This should add the addresses back to your users.

While MadanB's response is correct, it would require you to touch each account. My method will do it automatically, as well as any new accounts created in the future.

Pat Richard, MCSE MCSA:Messaging CNA
Microsoft Exchange MVP
Want to know how email works? Read for yourself -

monsterjta - I tried that method first since this is what I've done in the past. Somehow it didn't work.

58sniper - if I understand correctly, you can't do that if the domain is setup as domain.local which this domin is. The past admin wanted to keep it a seperate namespace therefore he made it domain.local.

This one has really baffeled me. It's driving me nuts! I even checked the DNS to see if possibly that was it. Sure enough, DNS seems fine.

Any more thought would be really helpful, I'm trying everything I know!

TIA!

You add the new addressing equation to the Default Recipient policy. 58Sniper is right on that. It's ok if the users have multiple addresses (from multiple entries in the default recipient policy), including the domain.local addresses, as long as the ones you want are there too.

ShackDaddy

Thanks everyone for your help. I ended up doing a rebuild of the server. I couldn't take screwing with it anymore. I backed up everyone's mail at brick level then wiped and resinstalled.

Everything is functional. No idea where or how it broke, but I was running into more problems then you could shake a stick at.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back