Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding a Windows XP client to a Windows 2000 Domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlackB0x

Technical User
Jun 12, 2002
GB
Dear All,

I am attemptig to add my Win XP Professional client to a Windows 2000 Domain.

As far as I can see everything seems OK and I have checked the following: -

DNS Server (Which is the DC)
Mapped Drives
Same Username/Password on DC & Locally

The error message I receive goes like this: -

"The specified server cannot perform the requested operation."

I have spent hours and have probably tried adding this machine about 40-50 times and still no joy. I would appreciate and advice from anyone even if you think its useless and totally obvious.

I have the same problem.
I'm converting a network that has an NT SBS server to a 2000 SBS server with XP and 98 clients.
The 98 clients worked fine.

The XP machine doesn’t create the computer account on the server correctly.

My problem is that DNS wasn't setup on the 2000 server correctly.

Take a look a Q291382, Q260371 and Q237675

Hope this helps

Also...

Search the AD on the server for any entries of the XP box and delete then.

Is the username that you are using have admin rights ?

I still dont see why your supposed to have a DNS server setup on your DC. All the windows computers use NetBios, so provided theres no routers involved, why does a LAN need a DNS server?

I have a network with 2000 & XP machines. I have NAT set up on the server and they can all access the Net (whether or not their logged on locally or onto the domain). My problem is;

Completely randomly sometimes one client wont log onto another client or printer (even if you force it to look). Sometimes a reboot helps this. And other times when a client tries to log on, it gets the 'domain controller not available' error, yet if you try another login/password, it 'sometimes' works. My question is, what can cause such random network errors like this? Sounds like an Active Directory problem.

The network itself is 5 pc's, run through a hub, theres nothing fancy and nothings changing in regards to the server/hardware/network.

You need a DNS server because WIN2K & XP use DNS as the primary name resolution where as 9x/NT used WINS.

If you don't have DNS setup correctly you can run into all sorts of problems, like the ones you suggested. [smurf]

I agree over a TCP/IP environment, i.e. Internet or Router type network, you have to use DNS (& or WINS) for host name to IP resolution.

But on a LAN, I believed that if every PC has 'Client for Microsoft Network' enabled, they can broadcast NetBIOS Name resolution across the network. No DNS required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back