Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding a Vcalendar Link For Outlook Appointments To A Web Page

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulHInstincticve

Programmer
May 31, 2006
GB
I want to add a button to my web page so that when a visitor clicks it it will automatically add an appointment in Microsoft Outlook. I see that I can do this by creating a vcalendar text file similar to the one below and simply hyperlinking it so that when the visit clicks and chooses 'Open' to open the file it creates the appointment in Outlook

BEGIN:VCALENDAR PRODID:-//Microsoft Corporation//Outlook MIMEDIR//EN VERSION:1.0 BEGIN:VEVENT DTSTART:19980114T210000Z DTEND:19980114T230000Z LOCATION:My office CATEGORIES:Business DESCRIPTION;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:This is a note associated with the meeting=0D=0A SUMMARY:Meeting to discuss salaries PRIORITY:3 END:VEVENT END:VCALENDAR

I need, however, to create this file on the fly behind a database when the visitor clicks the button. I can easily code the process in 2 stages using ASP by generating a random file name, populating it with text from the database in the format above and then displaying a button which is hyperlinked to the new event. This means that the visitor then has to click a second button to open the file. Can anyone suggest how these 2 stages might be compressed into one so that the file can be created and opened in a single process? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back