Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding a server to domain over VPN connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

woody66

IS-IT--Management
Jan 20, 2005
AU
I have set up a w2k server that I would like to join to an NT domain at a remote site so that I can finish the set-up for this machine.

I have an entry in the lmhosts file pointing at the required domain and have also added a route, can ping the PDC at the remote site. But when I try and join the domain at the remote site I get the message "the specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted".

Should it be possible to add this server to the remote domain or will I have to be on site to finish this se-up?

have you set the dns server and wins server settings correctly on your new member server?

Aftertaf
if its not broken, fix it anyway - with luck you might break it and have an excuse

I have the DNS 7 WINS set the same as they are on my domain, should the be set as they would be on the domain at the remote site?

You can ping your PDC via the VPN, so that seems to be routing ok.

you say:
DNS & WINS: set the same as they are on my domain, should the be set as they would be on the domain at the remote site?

what do you mean by this? you have more than one domain?

Aftertaf
if its not broken, fix it anyway - with luck you might break it and have an excuse

Yes I have two different domains. Ther server is not a member of either domain at present.

ok, lets call them domain A & domain B

you are at A, and there is a connection via vpn to the network of domain B.

your 2000server will be a member of domain B, and this you want to try and do from where you are, at domain A ? is that accurate?

if so, try setting the dns & wins to the servers for domain B.
if the network routes ok, this should work.

Aftertaf

Hi, Thanks

That worked a treat.

when its all put down clearly, the sense shows itself :)

....and other philosophical ramblings
:)

Aftertaf

I was begining to resign myself to the prospect of having to drive to site and do the whole lot over there!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back