Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding a second processor

Status
Not open for further replies.

SelbyGlenn

Technical User
Oct 7, 2002
GB
Hi there,

I have two PowerEdge 2600's one of which I am scrapping. I want to put the processor in the other server which is currently running Exchange 2000 on Windows 2000 Sever.

Can I simply plug the second processor in? Are there any configuration issues? Will the OS cope with a second processor suddenly appearing when booting up?

Thanks in advance,

Glenn
BEng MCSE CCA

You will need a VRM (I think you should be able to steal this from the donor server, but I don't recall whether the VRM for CPU0 is fixed or not) in addition to the CPU. You will also need to install drivers (BEFORE you install the second CPU.) Read MS KB234558 for more information.

Lastly, consider why you are scrapping the second server--is it because of random reboots or hardware faults? If so, using that CPU may not be the money saving idea you think it is...

Server was scrapped as it was no longer powerful enough for the job.

Sorry to be thick but what is a VRM? Is it the small riser card next to the CPU? something to do with voltage regulation perhaps?

Thanks again,

Glenn
BEng MCSE CCA

That would be the VRM.

Both processor speeds match, right?

Also be sure that the CPU steppings are within 1 revision of each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back