Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding a non-RAID hot swap drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

keyboards0822

IS-IT--Management
May 21, 2002
US
I'm fairly new to RAID and I can't seem to get any definitive information from the IBM manual.

Running NT4SP6a on a Netfinity 5500 with RAID-5 across (5) 18.2G drives in the hotswap bays. I've got another 18.2G drive I need to set up as a standalone drive (not part of the RAID array). The MRP software folks say the DB mirror should be a separate physical drive and this is what i'm trying to set up.

I know i can assign SCSI addresses but not sure how in the hotswap bays. By what I read they're all pre-assigned ID's 1 thru 6 but I don't want the RAID to suck this drive in as part of the array.

Any help / hints appreciated. Thanks Jim Richards
IT Manager
FASI Inc.

If this is a Hot swap drive with the correct basket for the 5500 all you need to do is plug it in. Open ServeRaid manager click on the controller, select scan for new devices. Then create an new array and add the single drive.
You will only have the one option of RAID 0.
Save the config and open NT Disk Administrator create the partition. And you should be done.

AS Always Backup your system.

Thank you Larry. (won't even ask about the rest).

I kind of thought that's what was supposed to happen, but I just couldn't find anything else anywhere that told me it directly, and being it's on a production box, I couldn't take the chance of winning the weekend campout.

Jim Richards
IT Manager
FASI Inc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back