Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding a new user to a Domain Group

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaserNL

Programmer
Mar 22, 2005
NL
Hi all,

I am using domain groups to authenticate users, i have 1 domain group in which all of my company's users reside. This Domain group is added to a WSS site and is granted the reader role.

Now a new employee was hired and added to the AD domain group, but somehow he doesnt get access to the site.
I would have assumed that he would automaticaly have access to the site... as the group has reader right and he is in the group.

Can someone tell me whats going on here? (and possibly how to fix it?)

Greetings

Hello,

We are running the same kind of setup with AD groups and I have never had any problems with a new user having problems accessing a site.

In some cases the site needs to be added to the Trusted Zone (or Local Intranet Zone) in Internet Explorer.

Regards,
Thomas

Thanx for your help Thomas, it appears that it was not an domain group but an exchange distribution list (in sharepoint they look the same). But the Exchange list is not updating when a new user is added, as you said the domain prob is. I have changed it to a domain group, and we'll see if that fixes it.

Greetings

Hello,

Ok that explains it. You can't use distributions lists in sharepoint to grant access to users.

Regards,
Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back