Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding a new servlet to tomcat 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

titanzero

Programmer
May 3, 2007
EU
Hello everybody

I have been banging my head against a brick wall with this for hours now. I have googled lots and lots and lots and I need a simple answer specifically for tomcat 6.

I have read the tomcat docs but they just confuse me to the point of frustration. I am therefore asking for your kind help in explaining a few simple points to me.

I have a simple servlet that just prints "hello world". I have web.xml and HelloWorldServlet.java and .class.

I want to add these to my tomcat server so I can access it using
I set my directories as follows

/webapps/ServletLab/WEB-INF

this contains

web.mxl
classes

classes contains my .java and .class file

When I try to get the app to load I get a 404.

I think I need to define the context. I dont know what this means but I assume it means telling tomcat that ServletLab is a servlet.

How do I define the context? I think i need to edit the context.xml file in conf of tomcat home. But I dont know how to do this. Every where I look seems to skip over the basics and I get confused.

Does any one know where there is a VERY simple step-by-step tutorial which will explain how to get my servlet working for tomcat 6? Or, can anyone please explain this to me like I am a child?!?!?!

Thanks for your help and time
Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back