Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding a new HDD SCO 5.0.4 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

IRONRINGED

IS-IT--Management
Mar 13, 2009
CA
Hi All,

I added an HDD to my server. I successfully completed mkdev hd, but I did not name any of the divisions. When asked how many divisions I would like to create, I choose the default value which was 4. I got the "Making filesystems" message, and then mkdev hd completed. I configured the added HDD to use entire disk for unix. I also used the default values provided by SCO while completing mkdev hd.

I do not know how to access the added HDD because I do not know the name of the device (/dev/???). I need to know the "device name" in order to complete mkdev fs.

Here is some info on my system.
hwconfig, 2 notibles:
name=disk base=0x1F0 offset=0x7 vec=14 dma=- type=W0 unit=0 cyls=1024 hds=255 s
name=disk base=0x1F0 offset=0x7 vec=14 dma=- type=W0 unit=1 cyls=1024 hds=255 s
I'm assuming the above disks are the 2 installed on the server. One being the disk with the OS, and the other for additional space.

divvy:
name type new fs # First Block Last Block
boot eafs no 0 0 15359
swap non fs no 1 15360 539647
root htfs no 2 539648 8169041
NOT USED
NOT USED
NOT USED
recover non fs no 6 8169042 8169051
hd0a whole disk no 7 0 8217215

The above looks like the stuff on the disk with the OS. How would I access the divvy on the hdd that I recently created. Keep in mind I do no know the name (/dev/???).

TIA

Your 2nd hard drive would get /dev entries as hd20 through hd26, and hd2a.

This would become available after reboot from the first mkdev hd.

You don't need the name for the 2nd mkdev hd, it will figure it out for itself when you specify the controller. During this 2nd invocation you will get the chance to scan the drive then run divvy to slice up the drive to your satisfaction and to create the division names.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Should be hd10 to hd16 and hd1a.

Ed Fair

I restarted the server. I then did mkdev fs /dev/hd1a, but I got the following error "fsck: cannot determine filesystem type of /dev/hd1a".

I then tried mounting a filesystem via scoadmin. In the Add Local Mount Configuration menu under Device File, there were a bunch of devices to choose from. Three started with /dev/fd0..., and 4 where /dev/d1150 - /dev/d1153.

I mounted device d1150 using mkdev fs which I completed successfully. The folder mount is called /secondhdd1. I can get into /secondhdd1, but when I type df -v I only see two filesystems /dev/root and /dev/swap. /dev/secondhdd1 does not exist, instead it is off the root (/secondhdd1).

I have no clue if d1150 is the hdd that I added. There are 4 divisions of d115x, which is how I set up the hdd. Also when I type in divvy hd1a, hd10, d1150, etc, the same table of names, type, new fs, #, first block, and last block appear.

Yeah, that is the default name given to the first division when you created the new drive with 4 filesystems. If you had done the second "mkdev hd" you would have ended up in divvy which would allow you to give the divisions the names you would want to use.

mkdev fs is interactive. You give it hardware divisions and directory mount points.

/dev/secondhdd doesn't exist. The device is /dev/hd10/11/12/13 or /dev/d1150/51/52/53. For mounting purposes you use the d115x and mount it to the directory of your choice.

To keep possible confusion to a minimum I suggest that people name their divisions and their directories the same. that way when you are in directory wxyz you are mounted on the hard drive with a division wxyz.

Ed Fair

Hi, I do not think SCO is recognizing the space added by the newly installed HDD. When I added files to /secondhdd1 in df -kv, the percentage of the filesystem /dev/root increased. Also, df -kv does not show /secondhdd1. In scoadmin the filesystem /dev/d1150 with a mount point /secondhdd1 exists. However, in the same menu, there is no Total MB, Used MB, Free MB, or % numbers listed for /secondhdd1. There are numbers listed for /dev/root and /dev/boot.

It seems /secondhdd1 is acting as another partition to /dev/root. Is there a way I can figure out if UNIX can see the HDD I added?

You added files to a directory /secondhdd without the /dev/d1150 mounted there. That is the reason that the root file size increased.
When you get /dev/d1150 mounted those files you added to the directory will disappear from the system until /dev/d1150 is umounted.

You can mount the filesystems manually. But it is better to use the wizard "mkdev fs" as it creates the lost+found directory and gives you options for the mount.

When you mount /dev/d1150 as /secondhdd you only add 1/4 of the potential size to your mounted systems.

do "divvy /dev/hd10" and see what the potential spaces are.

You need to create 3 more mount points and run "mkdev fs" 3 more times to add divisions d1151, 1152, and 1153 to your root. Then you will see them using "df".

If you added files to /secondhdd with /dev/d1150 mounted your "df -kv" should reflect a decrease in in free blocks of the filesystem /secondhdd

Ed Fair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back