Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding a new domain to GroupWise

Status
Not open for further replies.

9iron

Technical User
Sep 27, 2007
US
Here's my situation: Someone here at work took it upon themselves to register a new domain for us. We'll call it "busybody.com". This new domain is now part of my family of 5 other domains that we own, the main one being "maindomain.com" (You're digging my incredible storytelling, I know)

A few weeks later, some of my folks come to me and request that their email addresses be changed from "user@maindomain.com" to "user@busybody.com". No problem, I figure. I'll just go into Console1 and navigate to Tools/GW System Operations/Internet Addressing and simply add this new domain to my list. I'll then go to each of these people's accounts and change their Internet domain name to the new "busybody.com". Bring on the email, I say.

I start getting complaints that no email to this new domain is making it here. Oops! I forgot that we use AppRiver for spam filtering, so I contact the vendor who sold us the AppRiver, and ask that AppRiver be updated with our new domain name. The vendor tells me it's been done, but still no email. I was asked if our MX records have been updated, but I have no idea. Is this something I would do in my GroupWise? I thought that if our mail hits AppRiver first, they'd be the ones who need to update any MX records, since all of our mail comes from them now.

What step am I leaving out here? (This sounds like a classroom test) Thanks,

Yes, the MX record for busybody.com must be set to the AppRiver mail server. Go to where the domain was registered (networksolutions, godaddy, whatever), log in (Mr. busybody domain registerer should have the login info) and set the MX record.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back