Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding a new datafile

Status
Not open for further replies.

baanman

IS-IT--Management
Sep 16, 2003
TR
Hi All,
We are using oracle 9.203 . is it possible to add a new datafile to a tablespace in online mode.

Thanks

It is possible - was even possible since 7.3.4 (don't know about earlier).

Stefan

You may not need to - just make the original bigger -

ALTER DATABASE DATAFILE <datafile name> RESIZE <new size>;

Alex

To add a new datafile:

alter tablespace <tablespace_name>
add datafile <new datafile name with directory>
size <number in megs, i.e. 5000M>;

Baanman (and others),

...and yet a third method (which we use exclusively versus static datafiles) to obtain more datafile space is:

ALTER DATABASE DATAFILE 'filename'
AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT 10M MAXSIZE 2000M;

The reason we limit files to 2000m (2GB) is because some operating systems (including some Unix o/s) cannot properly handle file > 2GB. Another reason for 2GB limits is easier file handling for backups.

The reason we use (dynamic) autoextend versus large static file sizes is just-in-time, as-needed file allocation leaves not-yet-used file space for other currently-in-need files.

To set up autoextend from the beginning for a tablespace, we use this CREATE TABLESPACE syntax:

CREATE TABLESPACE <ts-name> DATAFILE '<filename>' SIZE 10m
AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT 10M MAXSIZE 2000M
EXTENT MANAGEMENT LOCAL AUTOALLOCATE;

The last line has nothing to do with AUTOEXTEND, but I added it for full disclosure on our CREATE TABLESPACE syntax; locally managed tablespaces is another VERY useful feature for efficiently running tablespaces...read up on it if you are not familiar with its benefits.

Dave

SantaMufasa

&quot;The reason we use (dynamic) autoextend versus large static file sizes is just-in-time, as-needed file allocation leaves not-yet-used file space for other currently-in-need files&quot;

I am assuming you have some method of checking free space on a daily basis ?

Therefore you know when a tablespace is running out of space and when you need to increase it.

What benefit is there of having the system do this for you, especially as you have a small maximum size as the limit ?

I could understand the use of autoextend if you had a maximum of say 1TB, but I just don't get it in this case :)

Alex

Alex,

We allocate as many 2GB-maximum files as we anticipate necessary to accommodate the data for a tablespace. So if we anticipate needing (eventually) 40GB for an application, we allocate 20 autoextending 2GB-maximum files (which translate to 200MB initial allocation...20 10MB-initial files).

And, hey, if you have a good business/IT reason for doing it differently, then, by all means, go for it. I was just asserting a method to avoid horrendous pre-allocations of disk space that may NEVER get used if there was a mistake on initial estimates. Remember, it is not fun to try and whittle DOWN the size of a file once it's allocated.

And, no, we don't check free space on a daily basis; we run an automated report on Saturday nights that checks, and if we're within 20% of our file maximums for a tablespace, we add another 10mb, autoextending, 2GB-maximum datafile. So we manage it by exception.

Cheers,

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back