Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

adding a media server

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomad1945

MIS
Oct 28, 2003
US
Hello:

I am considering setting up another backup unit as a slave or media server. in our other data center.
A question comes to mind, that if you lose your master server, or its down for what ever reason, can the media server still run independently? I am under the impression that the master is the one who actually “kicks” off the jobs.

thanks.

>can the media server still run independently?

NO

The media server is told what to do by the master server. Media servers were once called slave servers but were later renamed to media servers because the term slave is considered offensive.

Bob Stump
Just because the VERITAS documentation states a certain thing does not make it a fact and that is truth.

Thanks..I do beleive the media servers can backup and restore clients from a master server, or vice versa, in case one goes belly up, if you change the media to the correct robot?

I am looking at a media server for a D.R. sitution as well, in case we lose a backup server, i can use the other one to recovery and backup until the crashed server is back on line, or in case of a complete diaster in one center.

thanks

Media servers are directed on what to do by the Master Server. If you change out a media server to recover data from another media server, you must tell the images who the new media server is (This can take a while)

The media server is told what to do by the master server"

Yeah that's correct. We have servers offshore and they need to be master servers rather than Media servers becasue if the comms are down the job wouldn't run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back