Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding a media server and using the shared storage option

Status
Not open for further replies.

tech187

MIS
Jul 28, 2000
US
I have my master server setup using a Dell Powervault 136T fiber attached tape library. The master server is up and running backups fine. I have loaded the media server software and the shared storage option on another server that I plan to attach and share the PV-136T.During the device config wizard I am getting an error saying (Could not add storage unit,cannot connect on socket(error code 25))I am not familiar with NB at all so I am not sure it I am following the correct process to add a media server. Can someone give me a brief step by step process that should be followed to add a media server or maybe a link to a page that explains it? I have looked on Veritas's support page, but have not found anything useful. Thanks

Status 25 sounds like a network problem (name resolution).

If you want my opinion you should proceed like that :

1- 2- ACTION >> NEW >> NEW ROBOT
Declare the robot on the Master server (locally attached)
Device_host=master_server
Volume_database_host=master_server

2- ACTION >> NEW >> NEW ROBOT
Declare the robot for the Media server (remote control host).
Device_host=media_server
Robot_control_host=master_server

3- Then you could use the "Shared Device Wizzard", and each time you add a drive try to verify its S/N.

In host propertes, I think there is a "server tab". Add all known names (short, long, half !?) for the media server.
When you'll add a "remotly controlled robot" the media server will be automatically created.

Hope this helps.

Status 25 sounds like a network problem (name resolution).

If you want my opinion you should proceed like that :

1- ACTION >> NEW >> NEW ROBOT
Declare the robot on the Master server (locally attached)
Device_host=master_server

2- ACTION >> NEW >> NEW ROBOT
Declare the robot for the Media server (remote control host).
Device_host=media_server
Robot_control_host=master_server

3- Then you could use the "Shared Device Wizzard", and each time you add a drive try to verify its S/N.

In host propertes, I think there is a "server tab". Add all known names (short, long, half !?) for the media server.
When you'll add a "remotly controlled robot" the media server will be automatically created.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back