Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

adding a machine to a domain? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

XofCDe3rd

Technical User
Nov 9, 2003
I am having a bit of a problem adding a nt machine to a 2000 domain controler. The domain controllers name is like so

Mydomain.Home

now when setting up win98/win95 they use in Home in the domain part of the logon for microsoft networking

I have added a machine onto NT4 server it didn't require too much just an account and password of a user who is able to add a machine to the domian(I used the administrator account). I decided to try out 2000 advanced server and now I am a little lost on how to add machines to the domain.

I have tried adding various nt based machines(xp,200,nt) to no avail I get as far as putting in an account and password to join the domain but recieve a message that I can not join the domian specified because network path cannot be found

any help would be real good

lost domain

Do you have a DNS Server configured for your domain? The DNS Server makes the step for adding an account to the domain or OU(Organizational Unit). If you have a DNS server configured for your domain, add the host address of the non-domain computers to the foward lookup of the DNS, and add the computer name to the domain controller.
Once you have added the computers to the DNS and to the Domain Controller,
right-click my computer on the computer you are trying to add
select properties
select computer name tab
click on change or use network ID to connect to your domain.
type in the domain name
type in the Administrator account, password and the computer name of your computer.

This should allow you to connect to the computer.
If this fails, ping your DNS server and then repeat the steps.

aSugarBe@hotmail.com

helo aSugarBe

thank u for the helpful tip....

Sorry but I kinda got lost in addding the host address of the non-domain computers to the foward lookup address.

I went as far as opening the dns services tool but when I arrived at adding the host address I got lost. Were we supposed to add it in the folder with my domian name on it?....adding the machine name was okay used the active directory tools to add user..

little more help would be most apreciated.......

2000 server beginer

Easy....

If you are running a win 2k domain you would have had to either setup or use an existing DNS server. Ill make an assumption that the DNS is the same as your DC ( your win2k box).

Just change the DNS settings on the client to point to the win2k box & try to join again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back