Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

adding a HP Storage array to a Windows 2K server ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

gman10

Technical User
Jul 20, 2001
US
Hello all-

I have a old Compaq ML380 Proliant running Windows 2000.. there are 14 bays on this array but we're only using 5 bays containing 36.4gb drives.. My manager would like to set it up thru Windows 2000 with something concerning "foreign media" as far as the setup goes?? I guess my question is "how do you normally attach this array to the server"? I understand that physically is would require the right SCSI cable so this part has been ordered.. but how do you configure this drive array to be seen by the server?? is foreign media a Windows 2000 server option I'm not aware of thru Disk Management?? Once he gets past this hurdle he would like the drives to be configured as Raid 0 and then RAID 10, I suppose the first drive will be configured as raid 0 for the system/OS and the rest of the drives will contain all the apps/data and would be raid 10.. this makes sense, just am not too sure on how to configure this array on the Proliant server..

Any tips would be greatly appreciated..

gman[morning]

Not to be a prude, but this is a StorageTek Disk and RAID solution forum. You might get a better answer from the compaq forum forum484

First off, will you be configuring RAID thru Windows 2000 or will you be purchasing a RAID adapter for hardware based RAID. I suggest you purchase a RAID adapter and use hardware based RAID.

Second, RAID 1+0 you will need to find a RAID adapter that will do that. I believe you are wanting to run RAID 0+1. Either way Windows does not do this.

Foreign media? If the system sees this disk as foreign then there is data on it and you will just need to import the disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back