Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding a DateEnd column on a table

Status
Not open for further replies.

roswald

Programmer
Jul 6, 2002
US
I have a table that contains a BeginDate field along with a Plan_id field that we will use to sort recs. What I want to do is add a EndDate column to this table or create a new table with Plan_id, BeginDate and the new EndDate column.

The current table will be sorted by Plan_id and BeginDate (Ascending order) and what I want to do is populate the EndDate of each record with the next records (BeginDate -1) providing the Plan_id is the same for both recs. The last record in the sort will have a EndDate value of Null because that is the currently active record.

Can anyone show me how to write the SQL to accomplish without using a ForwardOnly cursor?
I am sure it can be done with a select stmt.

Thanks for your help!

bob

What about:
Code:
UPDATE MyTable SET EndDate = (SELECT TOP 1 DateAdd(dd,BeginDate,-1) FROM MyTable MyTbl WHERE MyTbl.Plan_id = MyTable.Plan_id AND MyTbl.BeginDate > MyTable.BeginDate ORDER BY BeginDate)
not tested well

Borislav Borissov

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back