Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

adding a computer to a domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

wontolla

Technical User
May 28, 2001
MX
When I try to add a computer that doesn't belong to the same subnet that the domain controller the following error appears:

“The specified domain doesn't exist or connection could not settle down with him.”

I don't have any problem in adding a computer that has IP address of the same domain that the domain controller.

How can I do to have a domain controller in a LAN with 8 subnets?

I have a DHCP server different from the domain controller with the 8 scopes.

Also I can’t see the domain controller in the Microsoft Windows Network if my IP address is not the same as the domain’s controller.

sorry if my english is not very good!!!, Thank you!!!

How are your subnets being routed? What protocols are bound to the network cards of the servers and workstations?

the problem is with the routers?

I have to configure them?

I didn´t install the network and I'm not sure how the did it

Let's assume your routers are working...
(you can test it : try to ping the domain controller when your client is in the other subnet)
Are your clients Win2K prof ?
If so, make sure the DNS is set up correctly (on both server and clients)
If your clients are Win9x or NT4, then you would probably want to install WINS service in both subnets, let them replicate, and make sure your clients use the WINS servers... they will be able to log on without problems... Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back