Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding a 5.5 server to run along an Exchange 2003 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

IS-IT--Management
Dec 5, 2002
GB
Hi,
would anybody know whether there is any way of installing a 5.5 server to run along an existing Exchange 2003 server? There are lots of articles describing how to join a 2003 server to an existing 5.5 site but nothing which would describe how to install a 5.5 server in an organisation with only the 2003 version server running.

Let me explain to you why I would like to do this. Recently we got a new server running SBS 2003. We used this opportunity to clear our whole setup, so a new domain was created, all user data and mailboxes transferred. It is all running fine apart one thing - faxing. We thought that we would use the Shared fax service in SBS2003 but it turns out that it is not as good as what we had used before - which was Fenestrae Faxination.
So we would like to get Faxination working again. The only problem is that we only have the license for Faxination version 3.0 which won't install with an Exchange 2003 server. So the idea was to install a version 5.5 Exchange server on another computer and route the faxes through it. But it looks like it is not possible to add an Exchange 5.5 server to the organisation even though the Exchange 2003 server is running in mixed mode. It appears that you have to the have at least one 5.5 server running in the organisation already if you want to add another 5.5 server.
So basically you have to start with a 5.5 server, then add the 2003 one.

At the moment it looks like if we want to use Faxination and Exchange 5.5 alongside the new Exchange 2003 server, we will have to uninstall Exchange 2003, create a new organisation in 5.5, then join the Exchange 2003. However, I am not too kean on getting into this process because of what it would involve - exporting all user mailboxes, then reimporting them, and not talking about removing information about the existing Exchange organisation from the Active Directory. This is also further complicated by the fact that what we have running is SBS2003, not the standalone Exchange server.

I would be grateful if anyone could share their thoughts on this.

i am pretty sure if you are in mixed move you could add a 5.5 server into the organisation

So, instead of simply upgrading your Faxination license, you are going to paying for this license, Exc2003 AND Exc55 Client access licenses, + both servers?
That is an expensive way for a simple fax ...

Marc
[sub]If 'something' 'somewhere' gives 'some' error, expect random guesses or no replies at all. Please specify details.
Free Tip: The F1 Key does NOT destroy your PC!
[/sub]

How Do I Get Great Answers To my Tek-Tips Questions? See faq222-2244

Could you put replace a NT 4.0 PDC server with a NT2003 server and continue running with a NT 4.0 server running Exchange 5.5 even if the Exchange server is running as a BDC? I know it is not best practices to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back