Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

adding a 4826 GTS to a 4548

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlfonsoSF

Vendor
Mar 3, 2009
ES
Hi,

I am new in Avaya switching.

Ihave a 4548 avaya switch installed and I need to add more ports .

Avaya recommend a 4826 GTS for stacking.

What is the process for making the new as "base" and the tandem of both get the same IP address the old had?

I suppouse once they works as one I'll be able to config via web. Is it true?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks in advanced

The best way is to;
factory default both switches
Connect them via stacking cables and set the base switch on the 4826
Power them up one at a time, with the base being first
Then configure

If you want to do it without defaulting your existing switch config (not recommended);
connect the stack cables and power on the new switch
once it is up and stacked flip the base switch to off on the 4548, then flip the base switch to on, on the 4826
It should now be the base and as a stack will be manageable from the existing ip address, if it is a vlan interface. If the ip was set as a switch address you will have to delete it and add it again as a stack address

is there any way to reset to default with no console cable?

Once everything started, can i configure IP addres for stacking via web?

I have no cable rs232-RJ45 and laptop have no rs232. Silly big trouble.

Thanks for your help !

You can connect through telnet or SSH and factory default the switch.

>> boot default

After auto reboot unplug power cable, connect stacking cables and enable the base switch on the upper device.

After powering them up you should be able to connect either via telnet or web with IP address 192.168.1.2

As I assumed that the configuration in the 4550 was not too different of default (network, 2 vlans and not much more) I tried with no default boot.

I powered off the switch (4550) connect cables (down from up to up from down and the other). Then selected the 4826 to base and the 4550 leave as it was (not base).
Then powered on the 4826 (up) and few seconds after I powered on the 4550 (down).

After a couple of minutes both of them started to blink all leds.

May I think that it was a mistake to don't boot to default?

Thanks in advanced

I added a switch to another one to build a stack of two earlier without a problem. So I don't see a problem in your case.

The problem was that the two switches were not at the same release.

One upgraded both to 5.7 the stacking was succesful.

Now I must to set up a stacking IP addrecc.

By the moment I onlu know the serial cable console access.

I'd need to know if there is a default IP addres for the stacking or not.
I have a RS232-RJ45 cable but I don't know if is correct for this switch. And problems with the usb-rs2323 adapter.

Well. I continue learning.

derfloh said:
After powering them up you should be able to connect either via telnet or web with IP address 192.168.1.2
A single switch has 192.168.1.1 as default IP address and a stack has 192.168.1.2

Usually the master switch should upgrade/downgrade the slave switch to the same software release. But I think that feature has been released not too long before. So perhaps you switch has an older release, that doesn't support that feature.

Thanks a lot to all of you that have helped me. . I did not know about the stacking default IP address.

Now every thing seem to work.

I'd like to tag this tread as solved

That is not possible here... But you have the opportunity to give some stars to those who helped you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back