Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Adding a 2nd disk drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nitro901

Technical User
Jan 25, 2016
US
Hello all,

A client with a PDSI x86 print server running Solaris is wanting to automatically backup a directory of postscript resources on a daily basis to a separate disk in the event of a disk failure / software reload. My plan is to setup a crontab job to execute a script every night to do this. I am having issues with adding a 2nd SATA disk and this is unfamiliar territory for me.

I installed the 2nd drive
Rebooted 'boot -- -r'
Format command shows both disks, C0d0 & C1d0
I used fdisk to delete existing partitions (was a previously used drive) and created 1 new partition with 100% of the disk, then made the partition active.

If I run ls /dev/rdsk/*s0 it shows: /dev/rdsk/c0d0s0 /dev/rdsk/c1d0s0 /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0s0

I think I'm getting hung up on creating a file system using newfs /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0s0 and I get 'Device Busy'.

What am I missing??

Then I'm thinking I just need to add it to the vfstab then mount the partition?

Any help for a would be very much appreciated.

Update: After a little more research, I've got it setup.

The one remaining question I have now is that with a UFS file system, my current vfstab entry,
( /dev/dsk/c2d0s6 /dev/rdsk/c2d0s6 /export/home/myfolder/ ufs 2 yes - )

if the added disk happens to not be available, it prevents the server from booting up which would be a rare possibility but may be an issue.

Can I edit the vfstab mount options for a soft boot to skip mounting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back