Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

adding 3rd server as backup in AD

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlfiller

Technical User
May 22, 2001
US
I thought I had the same problem in the thread "problem adding second DC" but I tried the suggestions and it didn't work for me.

I have a primary server loaded with Active Directory and a backup server in the same Active Directory. I am trying to include a third server in AD. This is a brand-new server, all of them have Windows 2000.

When I go into AD wizard, I select that I want to 'install an additional domain controller for existing domain'. I put in my domain name (which happens to be Jedi), user ID and password and that works fine. Then it fills in the DNS domain name wil.k12.ct.us (not and I get the following error:
The domain "wil.k12.ct.us" cannot be contacted. Ensure that the DNS domain is typed in correctly.

Which it is!
I checked the main server, and it shows the DNS domain as being wil.k12.ct.us, just as it shows in the wizard.

I can see this new server from the main server, and everything internal seems to be working fine.

JL Filler,Wilton Public Schools, Wilton CT

jlfiller,

is the new server referencing the correct dns server on your network ? and is the new server addressed in the same network segment ?

just a thought
scottie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back